“The 14th Five-Year Plan for Marine Ecological and Environmental Protection” released
On 17 January, the Ministry of Ecology and Environment, the National Development and Reform Commission, the Ministry of Natural Resources, the Ministry of Transport, the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Affairs and the China Coast Guard jointly issued the 14th Five-Year Plan for Marine Ecological and Environmental Protection (hereinafter referred to as the “Plan”). The plan provides a comprehensive roadmap and specific arrangements for marine ecological and environmental protection work during the 14th Five-Year Plan period including the main targets and the visionary goals for 2035.
The Plan identifies the implementation of important work in five areas:
1. Strengthening precise pollution control focusing on coastal bays and estuaries;
2. Taking equivalent measures for protection and restoration;
3. Respond effectively to marine environmental emergencies and ecological disasters;
4. Insist on comprehensive management;
5. Synergistically promote the climate change response and marine ecological and environmental protection.
The plan identifies key tasks and support measures in four aspects:
1. Improving laws, regulations and legal system for the protection of the marine environment;
2. Driven and lead by scientific and technological innovation;
3. Promote international cooperation in marine ecological environmental protection, effectively implement international conventions on marine ecological environmental protection, and actively participate in global marine ecological environmental governance;
4. Organisational safeguards, such as strengthening organizational leadership, increasing investment, strict supervision and assessment, and strengthening public education.